Currently reading:
Am I being too sensitive?? feeling a bit stressed.

Discuss Am I being too sensitive?? feeling a bit stressed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys, been a while since I had a proper moan but been feeling a bit dejected with work at the moment. Not sure if i'm over reacting or being taken advantage of, possibly a bit of both. I'll be as honest as possible, i'm not writing this post to get sympathy but I'd like some constructive replies, even if you think i'm in the wrong try and have something useful to say if you are going to reply.

I have been working for a local firm for 12 months now, they have a decent contract with a lettings agent so there is always work and it's not particularly important if work is to the highest standard, as i'm sure those of you who do similar work know it's more a case of getting the job done for land lords who don't like to pay a lot of money.

Before I started here I was working for heating install firm in Southampton and living away from home, that was a short term position that I started immediately after I left the army. I learnt a lot there but it was obvious with summer approaching that they didn't have long term plans for me, so I started looking for work back home. (where I am now).

I found this job and started 2 weeks later. I explained what experience I have and they agreed to give me the job. (it's a mix of plumbing and gas work 60/40). I get paid a set wage every week working on a self employed basis, I was told the pay would be reviewed every month. Due to my lack of experience this hasn't really happened as I have been growing in to the role and learning as I go. - fair enough, i was happy to be working back at home, learning the trade and having money coming in. They get someone who is working for fairly low pay but is happy to learn.

Ok I have been there now 12 months and I'm still on the same pay. Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting to be on the same wages as someone who knows the trade inside out and been doing it for 10 years. The thing is there's a few employees there. One guy does the general labouring/dump runs/other jobs like putting fence panels up/ripping bathrooms out etc. He gets paid £10 a week more than me. There's another bloke retired from his normal line of work so doing this to keep him active, he does the painting and decorating (very slowly) - he gets paid £10 a week more than me. Another guy with no qualifications but a bit of jack of all trades gets approx £100-160 a week more than me. He has worked for them for 10 years on and off so has paid his dues and so deserves more pay but that much more? These guys very rarely work past half 4 and if they do they start breaking out in a sweat.

Before anyone thinks I'm being petty or jealous. These guys all seem to work at a leisurely pace the majority of the time while i'm tearing around getting jobs done. On many occasions i'm given my jobs first thing and told to get on with it while the others are putting the kettle on and having a brew.

The work I do is anything from days spent doing land lord certs, boiler installs, general CH repairs, general plumbing repairs leaks, replacing taps. A bit of everything really.

Also every week there are at least 2 nights where I work late to get jobs finished and I know the others have finished for the day. On the days this is down to my lack of experience/speed, that is fine i'm happy to do it. On other days it just seems to be expected of me. Wednesday just gone, I had a big job to do, started it 8.30 finished by 1.30. back to the office get more jobs. 4 more jobs. leave the office 2 stops to pick up parts plus a drive to first job it's 2.30. the jobs were change toilet syphon plus close coupling kit, change diaphragm on boiler in the flat below (so no driving in between). drive across town to change a roca toilet seat, then attend a boiler fault a few miles away at 4pm. (i'm supposed to finish at 4.30) Also got a phone call saying a customer 20 minutes away boiler wasn't working so i need to go and sort that afterwards. So including the driving etc I had 2 hours to do all this if I was finishing on time. Impossible I don't care who you are and that's assuming all jobs are straight forward and fixed with no brain work. Turns out I was home approx 6.30.

Any work I do after half 4 I'm doing for free, I get paid the same whether I finish at half 4 or half 7.

Just also want to say I am happy to do the odd late to help out and catch up on some work but sometimes it feels as though I should be eternally grateful. I never question what I'm asked to do, even if the other guys need a hand on anything they all know I'll be there.

The last plumber they had never worked late, was packing away at 3.30 so by 4.15 all he had out was his tool bag and he was gone at 4.30 on the dot. sometimes home for 4.30. Apparently he would not do anything other than gas/plumbing even to help out and he didn't even like picking up his own materials.

Ok before I get shot down for making it look like it's all works fault and nothing to do with me I'll add this. I'm sure I have made mistakes that have caused extra work, I'm no expert on fault finding on boilers so these jobs take me longer than they should. I have also had a prang in the work van which would cause them hassle. (no expense to them though as I would have to pay any excess).

Am I being over sensitive and should just put up with things or should I say something about i'm not working late anymore or give me a pay rise??

I know there's a lot of guys on here who will say i'm lucky to be working in this current climate and with my level of experience which I agree with to a certain extent but where's the cut off? Like I said i'm not asking to be on big money but I don't feel what i'm getting is fair when i always stay late.

Not expecting everyone to start replying with words of encouragement saying how I should start making demands for this and that but what would be a good next step to sort it out so I'm not stressed out?? I really enjoy the work but I feel like they are getting a lot more out of it than me.

Hi Ash

A couple of suggestions if I may?

Firstly, ask your boss for an appointment to discuss it. Explain that you know how busy he is, but that you would value 30 minutes of undisturbed time to discuss this important matter.

Secondly, completely forget what other people earn. This is all about you and the value that you bring to the firm.

Speaking as an employer, the moment any employee starts to talk to me about what their colleagues earn, I turn off completely. The prime reason is that I can't discuss it - what another employee earns is confidential to him/her, and I can't say things like "yep - you're right, it was a mistake to give Joe that payrise last year, because he really doesn't deserve it." When employees discuss pay they often don't differentiate between before/after tax, the effect of Working family tax credits, overtime and all sorts of other things so their beliefs are often wrong. But I can't break confidenitiality to put that error straight. I have employees that I think are over paid. We all make wrong judgements sometimes, and when an employer does that, since it is almost impossible to cut someones pay, the result is an overpaid employee. Assuming that they aren't terrible (just over paid) often the best solution is just to let inflation eat away at it over a few years.

Over paying an employee is an expensive mistake. But overpaying an entire workforce in order to maintain what people think are "correct" differentials in comparison to that overpaid employee is the road to bankrupcy.

In my experience, employees get very uptight if they think that something is "unfair". But I run a business to be profitable, not to conform to a third party's idea of what "fair".

Just my 2 pennoth.

Excellent info/advice thank you.

It's true I'm not exactly clued up on 'before tax' 'after tax' etc so I will put that stuff out of my mind. I will speak to them and see what agreement we can come to. I work hard like the rest of the guys on here seem to, you wont get far in the trade unless you work hard.

I will arrange a discussion with him for some point this week, I know I keep mentioning what the others earn but that's really because it's all I have to go on but I will now forget that and focus on what i do, what i bring to the company and what I feel is fair for the work and time i do.

I'm not after Pimlico wages, i'm not even after a hefty pay rise I just want to compromise enough so I don't feel so wound up.

Definitely think your first step that you need to agree on. Is extra money for the extra hours. Agree an hourly rate, and then just invoice by the hour I think this would be a fair compromise for both parties

why are you going back and asking for more work ... take a leaf out the other guys books

when you get a job ask how long you have for it.

most jobs they give you will have a quoted time against them say 4 hrs and your running around doing it in a hour... they will be loving it as they are getting 4 x thier moneys worth out of you.

where i work i get set hours ... 3 hrs for a commercial boiler service, 2 hrs for a gas test, 2hrs for a water heater etc ..

so for a boiler room with 3 boilers and a water heater in i will get 13 hrs to do it. i can do it in half a day and ring for more work but don't...

why because it only upset the apple cart and i have to get on with the guys i work with.

take a back seat and if you only get paid till 4.30 then don't work past it.

you are setting yourself up - if you bend over backwards once they will expect it all the time.

Which is perfectly acceptable and I hope that it hasn't come across that i'm turning my nose up at the 340 a week that i get, it's doing how much i do while the others do less work but earn more that i have the biggest problem with along with the extra hours.

A very wise man told me never to worry or concern myself with what others are paid or earn. Only be concerned when I am not paid enough. It's the road to constant unhappiness. Don't discuss wages at work it's not worth it.

why are you going back and asking for more work ... take a leaf out the other guys books

when you get a job ask how long you have for it.

most jobs they give you will have a quoted time against them say 4 hrs and your running around doing it in a hour... they will be loving it as they are getting 4 x thier moneys worth out of you.

where i work i get set hours ... 3 hrs for a commercial boiler service, 2 hrs for a gas test, 2hrs for a water heater etc ..

so for a boiler room with 3 boilers and a water heater in i will get 13 hrs to do it. i can do it in half a day and ring for more work but don't...

why because it only upset the apple cart and i have to get on with the guys i work with.

take a back seat and if you only get paid till 4.30 then don't work past it.

you are setting yourself up - if you bend over backwards once they will expect it all the time.

Hi thanks for reply.

I think I have enough to go on for now. I will update later in the week.

i think your selling your self short ash this is your future at some point youll only have what youve saved over the years to live on a tenner a day over your working life is going to make a big difference from what ive heard i think your confusing nice and fair with business always go for the money in this game no one will worry about you but you

340 a week is what i take home, so yes £68.00 a day. 8.50 an hour i think. and this hourly rate drops as soon as im working past half 4. Wednesday i worked it to 6.80 an hour and there's been other days where it's worked out less than minimum wage.

£340 a week is ok'ish but dropping to £6.80 is basic wage. That's not enough for you as you've got experience.

My advice, start up on your own. You'll get some cash work, other bits, do what you want, quiet times & busy times, learn more and have good & bad days.

Only my thoughts

Good luck whatever you decide.

Where are you based?

Rct

Hi guys, just an update.

I spoke to my boss yesterday and he said he'd have a think and get back to me today or Tuesday. He came and met me on a job this afternoon and said he will give me an extra £10 a day. That's fine by me.

I enjoy working for the firm and they are all good guys. I have probably caused them hassle that they have kept quiet regarding call backs, not sure if that's a good thing or not as it would be good to know where I go wrong but could also smash my confidence lol.

I still have a lot to learn, it's hard to learn how to do something, take it all in and get the job done at a decent speed but that's my problem.

He has also offered me more hours or weekend work if I need the money. I have said I'll do every other Saturday starting in June as I have plans for most of this month, I would do every saturday but then that could cause friction at home plus also I have no family living around me so when ever I want to see anyone it usually means giving up a weekend.

All turned out ok, I'm not convinced he thinks I'm deserving of a pay rise but he agreed to it so I'm happy.

Thanks for all the replies, I doubt I would have asked if it wasn't for this thread.

As long as your happy with it mate... don' sell yourself short, some folk will always take the **** if they think they can :)

Blinding news mate, in 6 months time, if he don't wanna up it again, you'll have the confidence to get out on your own. As said before start building your own client base and believe in yourself a bit more

I'm obviously lacking experience after only a year and a half doing it full time but I try and make up for it other ways.

I do lack confidence but another 6 months and i'll be past that.

Last edited:
Congratulations both on the rise, and the fact that your boss values you enough to agree to more pay. Do be careful with the extra hours, etc. Do the alternate Saturdays but try and cut back on the unpaid evenings. Your family need you too!

Good news. If you are happy with your job and happy with the increase in pay, then its the perfect solution. When you feel its time to ask for another pay increase, which it will be in time as you are on quite low wages, then you will have the confidence to do so and not keep it inside and get all stressed about it.

As for working for yourself, it really isn't for everyone. I know everyone keeps going on about it, but maybe he is happy with a structured working life and no time wasters on the phone and doing quotes for people who never intend on using your services but just want free advice etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I being too sensitive?? feeling a bit stressed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back