Currently reading:
combi boilers choice

Discuss combi boilers choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Can I jump in here rather than starting a new thread about the same thing? We were about to start getting quotes for a new combi (just moved into a house with a 10 yr old Vokera) and it's now packed up on us. Heat exchanger is bust so we're topping it up every 3 hrs.
Anyway. Quotes and boilers. Current one is on inside garage wall with the flue (with no supports) is running across the ceiling to the outside wall and gas pipe doing the same. Condensate pipe runs around the base of garage to outside where it just drips (persistantly ATM) onto the block paving. Flue is corroded externally. Amazing to think it has a Building reg cert and we were given a gas safety certificate before we bought the house.
So quotes to fit a new boiler, flu, magnetic filter ,flush etc and relocate boiler onto the outside garage wall and rectify condensate pipe .

This quote also includes removing a funny bit of bypass pipework under the bathroom rad' Radiator upstairs, where we only seem to have a 1 pipe system and a new wireless thermostat. Originally there was a back boiler in the house.

Baxi/main eco 30kw
£1778
5 years warranty

Potterton titanium 28kw
£1898
7 years warranty

Baxi platinum
£2300
10 years warranty

2nd quote includes all above the above except removing the bypass pipe under the bathroom radiator and the new wireless therm'

Ideal Logic Plus 30 with 10 year manufacturers
warranty £2,586
-Vaillant 832 with 10 year warranty additional £250
-Ideal Vogue c32, 12 Year warranty additional £230

Any thoughts please?

Your right, should be one single pipe loop with branches off the each radiator. If you pipe in and out of each rad it would be very unbalanced and closing one rad off would cripple the system

I'm not an older boy though, I'm only 31, maybe that is old :(

If your old I'm past it then as I'm 36 lol. It just seems now you very rarely come across them where as the old boys who are probably nearing retirement would of been installing them.

Personally steer clear of microbore. I get its usefulness and ease of routing but its a much better job to run 15mm (off of 22mm feeds) to the rads.

Less likely to block (I know you have just had it flushed but in time it's inevitable the system health maintenance will be skipped and you'll end up with sludge build up)

Id get a quote for 15mm/22mm pipework and see what the difference is. If you can stretch for the 15/22 then do it.

If you can only stretch to the microbore then it'll generally still be a big improvement on a one pipe system.

Especially as the flushing of the system with one pipe system present causes difficulties in getting a thorough clean (unless every rad on the one pipe circuit was removed and flushed through manually).

Thanks Lee. Anyone else like to comment?

I have seen a combi installation where the infloor loop was driven off of the potable side, the space heating loop was driving low profile rads which run at a higher temperature. Whoever did this work felt this was a simple solution and failed to use potable fittings and tubing.

If you are looking to install a combi boiler then you have come to the right place! We at All Heating One always welcome you to contact us for further information on selecting the correct combi boiler for your house, comparing pricing, suppliers, and all installation procedures.

Reply to combi boilers choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back