Currently reading:
USA Using a USA trap on a UK sink

Discuss Using a USA trap on a UK sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Sandtree

Hi all

I am trying to fit out a room for doing some pottery and struggling a little on the sink trap to ensure that we aren't putting clay down the waste pipe.

There is a popular solution in the USA which can be found Gleco Trap (gt43) but naturally comes with a USA standard of connectors/piping which I understand from desktop research is different to the UK. To buy from the US and ship it here & paying taxes is going to be about £100 whereas to buy from their single UK distributor remodified for the UK plumbing is over £200 :annoyed:

Is there an easier/cheaper solution to attaching this thing to UK plumbing? I see in Australia you can get convertors between the two standards but couldnt spot anything here. Alternatively does anyone else know of a similar cheap but not homemade solution for trapping notable amounts of clay/plaster from a sink?

Many thanks

Try speaking to a company called Clayman supplies, they used to be a Gleco distributor but I believe they now have an alternative range of products designed for the UK market. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion, when I looked the other day the only one I could see they had was a £480 beast of a thing but they now have one almost the same as the Gleco and under £100 :smilewinkgrin:

One problem with buying an American one is if anything goes wrong it becomes much more problematic to get replacement parts. Before buying into any of these think how much clay might go down the drain and will some of it be as fine slip.

The water flow wants to end up slow enough to allow clay to settle out which is why a larger trap can be better and it can be even better having two traps in line. Might also look at some of the grease traps.

One problem with buying an American one is if anything goes wrong it becomes much more problematic to get replacement parts. Before buying into any of these think how much clay might go down the drain and will some of it be as fine slip.

The water flow wants to end up slow enough to allow clay to settle out which is why a larger trap can be better and it can be even better having two traps in line. Might also look at some of the grease traps.

Reply to Using a USA trap on a UK sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock