Currently reading:
can you run condensate pipe to a waste pipe inside the house ?

Discuss can you run condensate pipe to a waste pipe inside the house ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

northstar

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
hi does anyone know if it is allowed in the regs to run a condesate pipe inside the house to a internal waste pipe ?

why dont they do it as standard practice ? all the problems with frozen pipes at the moment

most guys do if possible,no one really wants a external run its just some times down to circumstances difficulty in getting the condensate away etc

With the advent of condense lift pumps you can put a boiler nearly anywhere now.

i think when they first came out it wasnt alowed or was discouraged, not sure why. maybe this is the reason there are so many external condense pipes and still common practice

the idea of making work is abit alien really , we usually never have weather this cold so it has never been an issue before

With the advent of condense lift pumps you can put a boiler nearly anywhere now.
We have used condensate pumps and trace heating refrigeration for ever. its just applying technology from one industry to the other but its not new technology by far

i think when they first came out it wasnt alowed or was discouraged, not sure why. maybe this is the reason there are so many external condense pipes and still common practice
Don't recall it being stated anywhere that it can't be run internally. Just think there was some ambiguity with the building regs on weither it can be connected to waste system.

Don't recall it being stated anywhere that it can't be run internally. Just think there was some ambiguity with the building regs on weither it can be connected to waste system.

you put it better than me

Can anyone tell me how to connect the condensate pipe to the boiler itself?
It's a Baxi Duo Tec.
Ta.

push the overflow into the black rubber connector lh side viewed from front

Thanks very much
I have a leak in the condensate pipe (I estimate it to be less than 1/2 teaspoonfull a day).
There must be a tiny bit left in the pipe after the condensate has run away.It hardly seems worth changing the pipe for it to be honest.

It looks like it is coming from the angle joint (in the plastic pipe)just before it enters the wall on its way outside.I was surprised that any condensate would remain there.

turn the boiler off for a few hours and give it a coating of solvent cement,that should sort it out though this a job for the warmer weather

That's probably what I'll do.
I first noticed it last week when the outside bit started to freeze over.I intend to cut it back from its 2 metres to about 18ins and divert it into the kitchen sink waste pipe.
Who'da thought that global warming would result in hundreds of thousands of British having to start messin' about with that white plastic pipe that they'd never even noticed before!

I do this as much as possible, roll on the days when the manufactures combine condensate with blow off inside boiler, simple tundish to waste inside, no problems

Hi,

My boiler is fitted in my garage and the condensate pipe goes through the external wall and into a soakaway. I experienced problems with it freezing the last 2 winters and as the house was only built in 2008, I contacted the housebuilder and asked them to redirect the pipe into the internal waste pipe as per manufacturer's recommendation (the waste pipe in the utility room is about 3 feet from where the boiler is situated) After several excuses over the last 18 months, (including that it was fitted as per manufacturer's recommendation - until I showed them the installation manual that they left when they installed the boiler) they have now come back and said that at the time the house was built (2008), building regulations did not permit a plastic condensate pipe to go through the wall from the garage into the house, so there was no option other than a soakaway. Thet also said that this has now changed, and can be done on new-builds. Is this correct, or any ideas as to where I could check the regulations at that time as I've had no luck searching the internet.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig.

as I mentioned a couple of weeks ago my son has just had an Intergas boiler installed in the upstairs airing cupboard and without access from there to an internal wastepipe AND not wishing to rip up the bedroom floor to run a pipe to the outside wall, he had a condensate pump fitted with the pipe running up into the attic and into the stink pipe which also runs up the middle of the house and terminates in the attic space.

being the cynic that I am I see it is only a matter of time before the condensate pump gives up the ghost - or fails for some other reason - meaning he will get an overflow of condensate through the airing cupboard floor into his lounge.

has anybody yet come across a condensate pump which has failed, and at what age (the pump, I mean, not you)?

absolutelyyy, best method and best practice thats my opinion, considered its installed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock