Currently reading:
Electrician Dodgy Aico smoke alarms

Discuss Electrician Dodgy Aico smoke alarms in the Electrical Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Dodgy Aico smoke alarms

Hi all,

I made the apparent mistake of ordering some aico ei3016 alarms from amazon, I needed them asap for today and amazon just seemed like the easiest option as they were offering prime delivery. The price of them was just over £40 each, so in line with some wholesalers and online wholesalers. Basically no reason to think they would be anything other than a genuine new product.

Today they arrived however as soon as I took the detectors out it was immediately obvious they weren't new, they were scratched up and honestly looked like they'd been rolling about in the back of a van, in a far worse condition than you would expect from an alarm that had maybe been sat on a ceiling for a while then carefully taken down later. However the easi fit bases in the boxes were brand new! Then on inspection of the date stickers they had clearly been tampered with, the corners were peeled up so it was obvious they had been removed from presumably some new alarms (dated 2034) and stuck onto these ones. Also the sticker that normally sits on the side (visible once installed) was not present at all, there was only a sticker on the top of the alarm body, the side you don't see once installed.

So I can only think either someone less than honest had ordered some new alarms from the seller and put their old alarms back in the box and swapped date stickers and then returned them for a refund essentially getting 3 free new alarms. Or the seller themselves is dishonest. Either way it is quite concerning as they're safety devices, if someone else had ordered them and not looked at them carefully they may well have installed them thinking they were getting brand new ones with 10 years life. Is this the sort of thing worth reporting to trading standards? As a bare minimum I'll be returning for a refund and buying elsewhere.

Cheers for any replies!

Dodgy Aico smoke alarms for more information

You may reply to this message here.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock