Currently reading:
Electrician Intro

Discuss Electrician Intro in the Electrical Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Intro

Got a message asking me to post, so here's my initial post...

I have found answers to some electrical questions on this forum over the years and finally decided to register. I'm not an electrician! But I did study electronics and have done quite a bit of my own small house electrical wiring fixes over the years.

I often look power poles and wonder what's going on. Usually I can suss out what's going on like ok, there's the 3 phases, they each go into this transformer there and then the lower voltage phase comes out and they continue down the street. Other times I look at poles and things make little sense.

I live in Europe, but I have family in the US. I can't help but notice that when I use an electric kettle there that it takes ages to boil. Last one I looked at there, the wattage was 1500 watts, but the kettle I have here which runs off 240VAC states it's 3000 watts. I wonder if I were to just plug the US kettle into a 240 outlet like for an air conditioner in the US if it would fry it or if it would boil water like the UK version. I can't see why it wouldn't. I've also considered just bringing a cheap UK kettle to the US. Someone surely must have tried all of this before me!

Anyway, it's questions like that that I sometimes wonder about and that's why I finally registered.

Michael Grant

Intro for more information

You may reply to this message here.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

Similar plumbing topics

B
Replies
Views
B
C
  • Article
Replies
Views
C
S
  • Article
Replies
Views
sparksflying
S
OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock