Guest viewing is limited

Currently reading:
Electrician Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling

Discuss Electrician Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling in the Electrical Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling

I am a retired electrician doing a home rewire.

I'm taking my time because I fell about 3m off a ladder & put both bones through the inside of my right leg.
That has slowed things down a lot...

My understanding of the AS:3000 regs is that all circuits in a domestic residence must be RCD protected.

When we moved here I replaced the tiny & cramped outside switchboard with a bigger one.
Later I fitted a loadcentre in the kitchen so I didn't have to go out in the cold & wet to troubleshoot.

I am totally upgrading the kitchen loadcentre.
It is a 36 pole, 3x 12 with all Clipsal Max9 internals.
Although a major clean up has rendered it unnecessary, I was a hoarder so I went for the Arc Protect breakers for extra protection due to the extra fuel load in the building at the time.

My question is regarding the sub-mains into the loadcentre.
The way I read the regs is that it has to be 30mA protected or protected by an earthed enclosure inside of walls.

Being a submains, it cannot be 30mA protected if the final circuits are also 30mA protected.
That would make the section up inside the wall from the switchboard to the ceiling & down inside the wall from the ceiling to the loadcentre needing to be in an earthed enclosure.
Steel pipe or conduit would be a pain to fit.

I found a supplier that sold small lengths of Anaconda Flex Metal Conduit with plastic outer sheathing so I picked up some.
This has a spiral wound galvanised iron central section with plastic outer sheathing.
I have the correct metal end fittings with screwed lock rings that have a wire tunnel & screws to make the earth connections.

The highest part of our ceiling is low enough that you need to remain bent over which makes working up there awkward - especially when you have a lot of years on the bones.
I rescued undamaged dressed pine from a skip after a local flood & ran two strips the full length of the ceiling.
I fitted sections of ply spaced along it so you can scoot along on...

Read more

Sub Mains to a Load Centre in a Domestic Dwelling for more information

You may reply to this message here.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back