Currently reading:
Gas or Water Pipe? Look to find cause of damp in wall.

Discuss Gas or Water Pipe? Look to find cause of damp in wall. in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

First time post so please be gentle.

Trying to ascertain if damp wall in our kitchen is being causes by rising damp or by a seeping pipe.

The pipe in the image attached disappears off under our solid kitchen floor (back addition of a 1890's Victorian terrace). The other end disappears underneath the floor in the other direction, BUT I can't find it reappearing anywhere else in our accessable crawl space and it doesn't appear to be linked to our current mains water or gas system (as far as I can tell, but it's a real maze under there). I also can't find any appearance of the end that goes off under the kitchen floor (as pictured).

Therefore I'm wondering if this pipe is now redundant as part of a previous system that got updated at some point which would lead me to think that it might not filled with anything.

I've tried turning on mains water and it doesn't seem to be flowing in that pipe, but there might be a very slight vibration in there when mains water turned on (if I'm not imagining it), which makes me wonder if it might still be filled with water but just capped off somewhere under the kitchen floor (and maybe seeping, causing the damp problem).

However, my main question is... Does this pipe look like it is a Water pipe or Gas pipe?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• PXL_20240617_125907836.jpg
    PXL_20240617_125907836.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20240617_130111041.jpg
    PXL_20240617_130111041.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240617_130000949.jpg
    PXL_20240617_130000949.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
If it were me, I would undo that union coupling a little ( little by little ) and see what comes out.
Do not undo it completely - make sure the nut is in contact with the thread.
You may have to move the pipe slightly to release the olive connection.

If water comes out, depending on how much, you may be able to ascertain whether it is live or not.

Gas on the other hand, cover the fitting with soapy water, and if bubbles form when you're undoing the thread tighten it up immediately and re-check with soapy water.

In reality, if you don't have experience with these things, you could get yourself into almighty troubles.

You may stuff the fitting connection up, being either water or gas and end up having a major issue

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

Similar plumbing topics

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock