Currently reading:
Hot water cylinder has no overflow?

Discuss Hot water cylinder has no overflow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am replacing my cold water tank in the loft as its made from asbestos. There is an overflow pipe feeding into it as expected however oddly this doesn't come from the top of the hot water cylinder, it comes up from the floor boards so i cant see where the pipe is connected to. Has anyone seen this before as its confused me?

Thanks

Marc

Some photos would help, But it sounds like the expansion pipe from the boiler, what size is the tank you are replacing ?

yes sorry by overflow i mean expansion pipe. however it comes up from the floorboards next to the hot water cylinder, not from the top of it?

What sort of cylinder do you have ? is it one with cold water on top (Fortic ) and its own ball valve , or do you have 2 tanks in the loft ?

yes heating system is a sealed system so has no water tank. It appears to be a standard hot water cylinder and a standard header tank. Just odd that the expansion pipe doesn't get fed from the top of the hot water cylinder?

problem solved! it does actually come from top of cylinder but there is also an expansion feed from the floor, no idea where this comes from though

thanks cropple, I dont think it does as it is connected to the expansion pipe and joins very near to the cold water cylinder so dont think you could feed anything off from it

ill try to explain better....so its a standard setup and from the the top of the hot water cylinder the pipe splits in two. one split feeds the hot water taps and one is an expansion pipe. Then about 50cm up the expansion pipe near the celiing another pipe is connected which comes up from the floor

Then about 50cm up the expansion pipe near the celiing another pipe is connected which comes up from the floor

That's a Hot flow to a shower, or additional outlet somewhere. that goes down into the floor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock