Currently reading:
Ideal Independent C24 Combi boiler losing pressure

Discuss Ideal Independent C24 Combi boiler losing pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iamlucky

Hi guys,

I hope you are all well.

Boiler = Ideal Independent C24

I recently moved into a new house. When I moved in, I noticed that the boiler's pressure gauge was at zero. I also noticed that the filling hose was still connected (I read that it has to be disconnected by law - why is that by the way?). I called a plumber out - I can only assume he re-pressurised the system and said everything was ok. I then noticed that the pressure was decreasing - about 0.2 - 0.3 bar per day. I had a look around the house and found that one of the radiators upstairs was weeping at a nut. I called out another guy who fixed the leak. However, the pressure still decreases. I cannot find any other leaks on the above ground pipework.

The night before, the pressure decreased from 0.8 bar to about 0.5 bar, causing the boiler to cut out.

I had to re-pressurise the system yesterday morning to 1.3 bar. The pressure was still at 1.3 bar about 7 hours later, though the heating was turned off an hour before. I can't see any drips from the overflow pipe outside - though I have now attached a bag to make sure.

I have noticed that the pressure increases by about 0.5-0.6 bar within 10s of the heating being switched on, and that the pressure decreases more quickly when the heating is off. Also, when the heating is on, the pressure gauge fluctuates by a very small amount - is this normal?

I am a bit worried that there may be a leak under the floorboards (I can't see any wet patches on the downstairs ceiling) and that it will cost a fortune to fix.

I will be very grateful if someone could please provide some further guidance as to what I can check/do before I call the plumber to check under the floorboards.

Thanks!​

How can I confirm that? Can I isolate the boiler from the heating system to confirm there is no leak from the heating pipes?

It can only be within the boiler or under the floors so best just get somebody out and test the boiler. if its easy to get under the floor ie if there's a void he might be able to crawl about. shouldn't cost a fortune to fix a leak under floorboards if you can get them up.

Another point if its old pipework under the floor there may be an old drain off under the floor leaking. a simple fix if the boards can come up.

Top pressure up and isolate flow and return valves under the boiler.
Leave it over night or as long as possible. If the pressure gauge on the boiler has dropped it would suggest a problem with the boiler.
If the pressure is the same at the boiler but drops when you open flow and return valves it will probably be a leak on the heating system.
Don't forget to add inhibitor when it's fixed

As scott-d states try that if it still drops get a gas man out to correct your issue

may have to consider age of boiler if it is a fault on it as may not be economically viable to repair

You also asked why the filling loop should be removed.

If the valve to top your boiler up passes your system will keep filling until it over pressurises and also its possible water from your boiler could pass back into the fresh water supply and you wouldnt want to be drinking that :)

You also asked why the filling loop should be removed.

If the valve to top your boiler up passes your system will keep filling until it over pressurises and also its possible water from your boiler could pass back into the fresh water supply and you wouldnt want to be drinking that :)

Bloomin heck. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for your help guys. Really appreciate it. We're going to visit our parents tomorrow so it will be a good opportunity to isolate the boiler to determine whether it or the pooping system is at fault. I will also leave some tissues around the above ground pipe fittings whilst we're out. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Bloomin heck. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for your help guys. Really appreciate it. We're going to visit our parents tomorrow so it will be a good opportunity to isolate the boiler to determine whether it or the pooping system is at fault. I will also leave some tissues around the above ground pipe fittings whilst we're out. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Lol. Pooping system. Gotta love the autocorrect systems of these phones. Haha.

Pay a Gas Engineer to service the boiler first then ask his professional opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock