Currently reading:
Overflow problem

Discuss Overflow problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Theflame

Hello expert plumbers,

I need some help. I've had two plumbers round to look at an overflow drip from a hot water tank up in the top floor of my house. The drip is constant yet sometimes more frequent when the heating comes on.

I previously had the immersion heater on 24/7; having been advised by the first plumber I could save money not doing this I switched to the hot water heating main system. It didn't fix the drip though. The second plumber serviced my boiler and also took a look. He cut off some pipe that was submerged in the tank and switched me back to the hot water system from immersion heater, however I don't get any hot water from this; it's lukewarm at best.

He suggested that I might have a hole in the coil in my cylinder. He can't do that until next year though. I switched the immersion back on because we didn't have any hot water and the drip is back. It's not coming through the copper pipe he cut though; it's coming up through a grey rubber pipe that also goes into the cold water tank on the same bit as the ball valve.

Is that pipe meant to leak?

To make matters worse the drip is outside my bedroom onto a plastic conservatory roof; thus keeping me up. I've laid a towel down but don't fancy going into the festive period with a constant drip.

Advice would be welcome. Have people seen this before?

Ps my cylinder was at 70 degrees but never heated up to that level with the hot water system on.

Turn your cylinder down to 60 and see how it performs.....regards Turn pin oh and welcome to the forum's

Sounds like you have 2 issues there and it can be complicated to explain. But my advice is simply if you dont know whats what - call in someone to do a proper job. It will cost you - yes. But will resolve your problems.

Welcome.

I turned the boiler down to 60 but no joy it still drips 24/7.

newcastle Phill - is it a flush job or cylinder replacement do you think?

It's crazy that the heating, immersion and hot water system is off all day yet the drop still occurs. The water in the hot overflow tank is lukewarm all day as well.

Sounds like it's coming from the cold water feed and needs to replace or repair the rubber washers. . If it's coming from the feed and expansion try turning the H/W cylinder stat to 60 degrees as turpin has replied . And I'm sure if it is only a drip the plumber could have extended the f&e an extra 40 mm would have cured the dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock