Currently reading:
Plastic to copper pipe connection on radiator

Discuss Plastic to copper pipe connection on radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am re-piping my whole house as I found out it was a one pipe system after buying it. I plan to use plastic speedfit piping and fittings throughout with copper pipe connecting the radiators. My question is this. What is the best technique to connect the copper pipe to the plastic pipe. Can this simply be done using a 90 degrees speedfit connector under the floorboards then a straight copper pipe coming up to the radiator. Any advice would be appreciated. Regards.

spedfit Is compatible with plastic and copper so what your saying sounds fine just remember insert on all plastic

Yes if your going to use plastic throughout then an elbow under the floorboards with a copper tail is best.

Remember as woody said to use an insert into all the plastic pipe where it goes into a fitting, make sure the plastic pipe is well clipped and supported to stop any sag when hot, and buy rolls where possible to reduce the amount of fittings needed, as they are expensive and create a weak point for a potential future leak.

Use well known plastic pipe like John Guest or Hep20 as it's rated for Heating and reputable. And finally make sure all the pipe, fittings and inserts are from the same manufacturer.

Last edited:
My vote is for hep2o as there is no need to tighten the fitting either. Speedfit pipe isn't as flexible as hep2o pipe either.

great response. I posted the question as I left work and by the time I got back I had three response! Great stuff.

I will be using Speedfit layflat pipe so hopefully this will be a bit more forgiving than the normal speedfit piping. I've not heard too much regarding reviews on this type of piping as its a fairly new product but I'm guessing it will be ok as its a John Guest product.

I will also be using JG superseal-inserts in all connections for extra protection.

I will be clipping the 22mm and 15mm pipe every 30cm under the floorboard but do you know if its best to not add clips close to where I will be joining onto the copper pipe so there is room for movement or is it best to clip right up to the connection?

Also, when going around a 90 degree corners I planned on using 90 degree fittings but if the space allows me is it better to simple bend the pipe to reduce the amount of fittings needed.

Thanks.

Yes where possible pull the bends round instead of using elbows will help with flow and keep your costs down

Hi Aquazone. Thanks for the repsonse. You mentioned using a 'copper tail' for the connection between the plastic and copper pipe. I just did a quick search on google and I'm still not sure what this is. Is this a special type of connection or is it another name for the straight bit of pipe that leads to the radiator through the floorboards? If it is a specific connection could you send a link as I was planning on using plastic JG speedfit Tees or 90 degree ones. Thanks

copper tail is just another name for the length of pipe from the rad valve to the plastic connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock