Currently reading:
Problem with cold water header tank

Discuss Problem with cold water header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blossom

I wonder if someone can help me please. We have had no problems with drips from the overflow and no sign of any other problem. A couple of days ago without warning we could hear water running into the tank and then water started pouring out of the overflow pipe. Unfortunately the overflow pipe couldn't take all the water and it started coming over the top of the tank and through the kitchen ceiling. The kitchen floor was covered with water. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd been out.
We've had another ball valve fitted, and up to now we've had no problems.
I'm worried it will happen again. Can anyone explain why this would suddenly happen.

Thank you.

I wonder if someone can help me please. We have had no problems with drips from the overflow and no sign of any other problem. A couple of days ago without warning we could hear water running into the tank and then water started pouring out of the overflow pipe. Unfortunately the overflow pipe couldn't take all the water and it started coming over the top of the tank and through the kitchen ceiling. The kitchen floor was covered with water. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd been out.
We've had another ball valve fitted, and up to now we've had no problems.
I'm worried it will happen again. Can anyone explain why this would suddenly happen.

Thank you.

The valve washer most likely came to the end of its life and no longer stopped the flow of water

Your overflow pipe should ( in most cases ) handle it. Just check it is unobstructed and flowing downhill .

Check it's not backfilling into the tank from a faulty mixer or shower...

Check the overflow is clear as they can block up, so it does not happen again! Fit a quality ball valve like peeler!

Thanks for the replies. The water was gushing from the overflow pipe, so it isn't blocked.
Maybe the pipe isn't big enough? The water was pouring through the ceiling.
Blossom

15mm feed in should have a 22mm overflow to cope with it going out.

Thanks for your reply. The overflow pipe is only slightly bigger than the feed pipe, so we'll get it sorted.

What ball valve was fitted out of interest? Old style float valves tend to run slowly but the modern side entry fill valve like a fluidmaster in a header tank can fail on full blast!!
99% percent of overflows are 22mm so I guess there only capable of a small leak, not a full mains pressure load of water!

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock