Currently reading:
Purpose of vent under sink?

Discuss Purpose of vent under sink? in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

There are bad smells that come from my sink drain when I run water.

On inspecting (undoing) the U-bend trap, there is no debris or anything in there. It is a clean run. And I don't think the water is being siphoned out of the U-bend (though I can't be certain) because the sink is used a lot and the smells occur when I run water, not when I leave it alone.

I was puzzled as to the purpose of the vent that points upward and to the left in the attached picture. It seems to be on the wrong side of the U-bend to be an air admittance valve, and I don't see how it can help at all since air is already free to enter through the sink plugholes.

On inspecting this vent (valve?), it was full of smelly gunk (second attached picture), so I think it's this that is causing the smell. Is there any reason this vent can't be eliminated, using a short section of pipe without the T-off to replace existing section?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• sinktrap.jpg
    sinktrap.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 20
  • ventgunk.jpg
    ventgunk.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 17
That’s not a vent

That an outlet for a dishwasher / washing machine drain so should be capped if not being used temporarily you can cut the finger off a rubber glove and the smell should be gone

Brilliant. Thank you very much.

I could see a vent made no sense but I couldn't think what it actually was, and your explanation makes perfect sense. I think the washing machine drain pipe must have been moved years ago.

(Having a little trouble saying anything here because there is an aggressive spam filter that prevents most attempts at an answer, including a simple thank you. It seems "o u t l e t" is not allowed.)

Though I don't think the glove finger would prevent the smell because it's coming up through the kitchen sink drain. I think the smell is caused by bits of food from the sink lodging in the out-let and then decaying there because there is no water flow to move them along. So I guess the solution would be to replace that 12cm or so section of pipe with just a straight down bit and no out-let(?)

Last edited:
Brilliant. Thank you very much.

I could see a vent made no sense but I couldn't think what it actually was, and your explanation makes perfect sense. I think the washing machine drain pipe must have been moved years ago.

(Having a little trouble saying anything here because there is an aggressive spam filter that prevents most attempts at an answer, including a simple thank you. It seems "o u t l e t" is not allowed.)

Though I don't think the glove finger would prevent the smell because it's coming up through the kitchen sink drain. I think the smell is caused by bits of food from the sink lodging in the out-let and then decaying there because there is no water flow to move them along. So I guess the solution would be to replace that 12cm or so section of pipe with just a straight down bit and no out-let(?)

Or just strip it and clean all the gunk out ?

That would replace the outlet / p trap

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock