Currently reading:
sealed system

Discuss sealed system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

self-builder

Hi
i have been lurking for while and found some very usefull info on this site so i though I might get some advise.
I am looking to have a sealed system installed to provide mains type hot water pressure. I have decidd o the brand of boiler, anf now am looking at the tank. It seems that the Megafow is a popular choice , but I don't usually think that popular is necessarily the best so I am looking for a few opinions.
So far my favourite is the Gledhill Stainless Lite with a twin coil. I was thinking of the twin coil as if at any time in the future I could add solar heating to it.
On one other note does the Gledhill work in the same way as Megaflow cylinder.

Gledhills technical helpline is charged at £1 a minute, I spent 9mins once tring to sort out a problem.
I havent done any unvented for a few years, back then it was megaflow we used.
Youve chosen the make of boiler? alot of the manufacturers are doing thier "own brand" unvented cylinders atm might be worth looking into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
What boiler have you choosen,if I may ask
Glenhill cylinders are Ok,as are most makes of unvented cylinders as build spec so high you do not really get bad makes
as mentioned after sales service should be taken into account

I was going for a Broag Rehema. Do the Gledhill work in the same way as a Megaflow? So far I have ruled out Ariston. I see Range also are higly rayed as well as Santon. The Megaflow seem expensive compared to the rest, so it seems like you are paying for the name.

I was going for a Broag Rehema. Do the Gledhill work in the same way as a Megaflow? So far I have ruled out Ariston. I see Range also are higly rayed as well as Santon. The Megaflow seem expensive compared to the rest, so it seems like you are paying for the name.
just out of interest why have you ruled out the ariston fitted lots of these and no problemsjust dont go for the cheaper range which have anodes which need changing every couple of years
personally i prefer external preasure vessel types as internals have a habit of disapearing at regular intervals
have you considered thermal stores these are gaing favour especially when used with solar
TORRENT RE Renewable Energy - Solar Gain Cylinders giving mains pressure hot water

I ruled out the Aristons for the very reason that were enameled as opposed to s/s and like you said required an anode. I haven't considered a thermal store as from what i understand. it is mains pressure out for maybe one outlet, but a presurrised system will provide mains presuure out for more that one DHW outlet . and it is also balanced with the cold outlet.
So the Gledhill has an external pressure vessel and the Megaflow an internal pressure vessel. Is external pressure vessel seems a bit outdated.

Hi, I fit unvented mains pressure cylinders everyday of the week in new build housing. I have used all different makes and sizes. Megaflow uses an internal baffle which they charge accordingly for. It does away with the need for an external expansion vessel which sits beside/above the cylinder in the airing cupboard. Performance wise there is no real difference between most of the makes. I have fitted hundreds of Range tribune and the Santon premier plus cylinders which are both good and have had no problem with either. I have only fitted the gledhill a couple of times but had no problems with them also. The most important things to remember with an unvented cylinder is you need to have good pressure and flow rate, and a 22mm main supplying it. As long as you have these any unvented cylinder should perform well.

Thanks scooky. What is the most common setup i.e brand of boiler and cylinder that you have experienced.

I have used baxi promax system boilers with Santon Premier Plus indirect cylinders and worcester regular & System boilers with Range tribune HE indirect cylinders in the past year. Both baxi and worcester boilers are reliable. As long as they are fitted properly I think they are the best way of delivering hot water. What fuel are you going to use? Natural gas, oil or lpg?

l tend to work mostly with Glow Worm boilers and their unvented cylinders; I'venever found a problem with them and all my customers have been very happy with the performance. I have installed their single coil cylinders and their Clearly Solar range too, very reliable units. Cylinders for Glow-worm boilers

I ruled out the Aristons for the very reason that were enameled as opposed to s/s and like you said required an anode. I haven't considered a thermal store as from what i understand. it is mains pressure out for maybe one outlet, but a presurrised system will provide mains presuure out for more that one DHW outlet . and it is also balanced with the cold outlet.
So the Gledhill has an external pressure vessel and the Megaflow an internal pressure vessel. Is external pressure vessel seems a bit outdated.
ariston do two ranges the ss are excellent all megaflows suffer loss of the air cap from time to time some monthly
my old gledhill boiler mate supplies two taps at full bore and three with a slight reduction
all depends on the mains preasure youve got with a heat store you get what ever youve got, with a unvented you get you never get more than three bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock