Currently reading:
Sink Waste overflow leak concern or not ?

Discuss Sink Waste overflow leak concern or not ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again, I recently installed an Wickes Compact Sink with the help of you guys on here successfully, no leaks on the underneath plumbing bits after a month.

But I could just be fussy or wrong on this, my overflow holes are on the top of my sink as shown here:

http://oi63.tinypic.com/11kjul1.jpg

If I pour several cups of water down it or water runs from wet dishes down it I get no leaks (low amount of water waste), but if I put the tap over that waste bit and run it with higher pressure flow from tap it does sadly spring many leaks underneath on the waste overflow part only !

Is this normal ?

If its not normal stay tuned for part II ! again much appreciated for any help.

Part II

Wickes sink provided this white seal tape here:

http://oi65.tinypic.com/2mhu34p.jpg

As you can see its lose already and broken after a month, so I ditched it and attempted to use silicon (clear) around the seal where the tape was like here:

http://oi63.tinypic.com/1176vqf.jpg

Left the new silicon to dry for 2 days but sadly it still leaks, I noticed there is almost an odd gap where water is indeed flowing out from maybe causing the issue (shown in red in pic) ?

The issue is it requires a screw on the other side so I can't move that waste plug further down so it sits flush against the sink.

My old sink had a waste overflow thick rubber seal which sealed and sit flush and kept the water inside without leaks, this new sink no such luck any idea what to try next ?

Last edited:
Check if the plastic rectangular overflow part can actually have its entire original seal going against a part of the sink underneath. If it can't all seal, then it is not compatible with the sink and you should complain.
Tec7 or similar are much better than silicone

The overflow kits that come with most sinks are usually pretty bad, I think the manufacturer is franke or something similar where I see it most, I'd say 50% of the time I fit them I have to spend more time on the overflow than fitting the taps and connecting the wastes.
I would advise as above, if there is no way to get the seal you need to complain and get the right overflow for the sink, have you tried turning it 180deg to see if it sits properly that way?

I will certainly email and complain to wickes about the waste overflow part, yeah I too felt since its not fitting flush and has a slight gap any seal will struggle and leak unless thick rubber. I have also tried turning it 180 degrees but no joy its misaligned and won't work.

It almost feels like bad design or manufacturing or an 20p thick rubber seal feels like it could have fixed the job frankly since the thin white spongy one was sealing and working.

I can not DIY my own rubber seal ? Or try plumbers mate or something to make a tight water lock seal ?

Last edited:
I can not DIY my own rubber seal ? Or try plumbers mate or something to make a tight water lock seal ?

You should really only doctor it yourself if it would do a 100% job.
If the outer area of the overflow fitting is outside the flat sink surface, then don't bother. Just complain and see if they can get you a fitting suitable for that exact sink.
On the subject of making your own seal, - you can make a seal by using a bead of silicone on the fitting or whatever and letting it harden before installing the fitting. Makes a nice 'rubber seal'

You should really only doctor it yourself if it would do a 100% job.
If the outer area of the overflow fitting is outside the flat sink surface, then don't bother. Just complain and see if they can get you a fitting suitable for that exact sink.
On the subject of making your own seal, - you can make a seal by using a bead of silicone on the fitting or whatever and letting it harden before installing the fitting. Makes a nice 'rubber seal'

Yeah got a feeling wickes won't have an exact rubber seal for the waste part, I can kinda see how that spongy white seal which is like draught tape makes it a flusher fit against the surface or to stop water from coming out, I have already tried 3-4 times a bead of silicone to replicate that seal with no joy but I pushed it against the surface while not fully cured.

Nice idea though I certainly can try applying the silicone and waiting for it to dry and then install it, does almost feel like something like bluetack or putty may do the trick though !

As it never comes under any water pressure, really any attempt to seal it using silicone, or non hardening putty would have worked.
I think you just have been sold an overflow unsuitable for the sink.
Plumbers Mait is a non hardening putty like sealant, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially for that job. It tends to ooze and spread.
There is also a sealant you can buy in thin strips and it never hardens but is easy to work with. Very similar to kids play dough, but I don't know where it can be bought.
It is your right as a customer to complain to Wickes and let them sort it. If you don't, then if there is a problem that is going unnoticed they will never get it resolved for others.

Last edited:
I have just had a thought, - you probably should have tightened the overflow in its place and marked around the underneath of the sink tight to the overflow fitting with a pen.
Then remove it and take a photo of the line showing it being past the flat area. Then have the photo of the fitting. That will prove to yourself and to Wickes that it can't be sealed decently as not correct part.

Last edited:
Cheers best for the above advice, great idea will surely do that have fired off an email explaining how its not a correct fitting and not fit for its purpose and have asked for a proper rubber seal or overflow pipe, from what I can see on the manual and fittings it is the correct one but its off by 4-5mm over the underpart of the sink, so not surprised high water pressure will leak out.

Thanks was unaware plumbers mate oozes out and spreads ill refund the tub I have just bought, finding compact sinks which are 435mm wide by 860mm is tricky at best so I will have to wait for wickes cs team to get back to me in the mean time I will try some ridiculous 80's MacGyver DIY attempts, will post pictures if it works lol

MacGyver Success !

I figured why not just use the complete old overflow part from my old sink since it had a rubber seal and was smaller so it may just fit flush and connect it to the spare nozzle waste with a jubilee clip.

Ended with this MacGyver job !

http://s18.postimg.org/8ztio6l95/Mac_Gyver_overflow_job_1.jpg

See how the old overflow waste collector thingy sits flush and it has a rubber seal to stop leaks dead, 1 hour of high water pressure going into it and not one drop !

I had to DIY job a blanking plate I think its called for the other overflow part with a white plastic cut out and rubber seal, no leaks with sink running and with sink full for past few hours.

http://s21.postimg.org/5b0p83kif/Mac_Gyver_blanking_job.jpg

Think its fine, but will check for leaks over next few days, cheers to all suggestions and advice much appreciated as always !

Not sure who MacGyver is but nicely done, if it holds water it's a good job, doesn't matter what it looks like.
I must say though, if I was called out to that sink I'd be calling the previous 'plumber' for that, even though it works :D

Tested again today and no water leaks coming from that overflow, tested it again for 30 minutes with full pressure going into that grill holes.

Yeah not fussed how it looks, think it actually looks better and with those jubilee clips it provides a tighter fit, my old sink had its waste going to the other double nozzle end also, job done !

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock