Currently reading:
Advice for career change

Discuss Advice for career change in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Apologies in advance because you have probably read this question hundreds of times on this forum, but please if you could spare me a little advice I would be very grateful.

I've worked in a busy factory since I was 18 (now 29) and I have saved up enough money to complete a course to become a domestic gas engineer. The course is for people like myself who don't come from a plumbing background.

The course involves theory and practical based learning to start, followed by being assigned to a mentor to complete a portfolio and finish with ACS assessment. After successfully passing I will (hopefully) achieve CCN1, CPA1, CKR1, CENWAT and HTR1. All done around my current full time job.

I understand I will not be very employable upon completion of the course due to lack of experience, so I was wondering if you could give me some direction as to what to do once I'm done.

Many thanks.

Go back to the factory?

Seriously though why spend all that money with no idea at the end.

I'd be more concerned at the portfolio being promised around your current full time job and no plumbing skills.

Try the search function on the forum.
[automerge]1597169227[/automerge]
Also read the thread created today about training centre failing to appoint mentor despite being paid for it!!

Go back to the factory?

Seriously though why spend all that money with no idea at the end.

I'd be more concerned at the portfolio being promised around your current full time job and no plumbing skills.

Try the search function on the forum.
[automerge]1597169227[/automerge]
Also read the thread created today about training centre failing to appoint mentor despite being paid for it!!

Hi Simon.

Thanks for your reply.

I have spent 11 years where I work simply because I left school with no sort or direction or career path. I don’t want to spend the rest of my working life in a factory which I don’t and have never enjoyed.
I have had a quick look through some threads and I was hoping that someone would help me who might have done the same thing with a positive outcome, hopefully they will give me some pointers.

A friend of a friend has completed this course with the same provider as I am going to use, they were assigned a mentor etc as promised.
Cheers
[automerge]1597169758[/automerge]
Why do you want to be a gas engineer?
Hi Scott,

I have wanted to become a gas engineer for some years now, but I’ve never had the opportunity until now.

Good luck with it, but with no plumbing experience to go with the gas qualification I would imagine it will limit what you can do.

Just as an example, a lot of boiler breakdowns I go to are not even boiler related. Controls, pumps, pipework etc.

Maybe try get a job as plumbers labourer for a while, that way you can pick up some skills.
It’s not all about pipes, you got to be able to lift floorboards, brick up old balanced flue’s, make wooden frames to sit boilers on, wire up thermostats and 3 port valves, make a decent brew etc....

I know a few guys who jumped from warehouse worker/ delivery driver etc to try make it as a plumber/gas engineer, most couldn’t but not due to their intelligence, just firms won’t take a new qualified without experience of at least 2 years, plus it’s tough to do a course and do a portfolio and hold down a full time job, especially now when there’s redundancies looming in the wake of COVID-19
Not saying it won’t work for you pal, but you gotta be realistic and have a plan if it doesn’t

Best of luck

Thank you for your advice Stu I will certainly look into it 👍.

I’m very realistic, I know I’m not going to be employed straight away I’m not that naive is why I asked my original question, I understand there’s a risk but that goes with anything in life.

Everyone needs to start somewhere and the advice I can hopefully get from experts like yourself will help me along the way.

I’m going to do everything I can to make it work and to better myself - I don’t want to spend the rest of my life in a factory.
Thanks you.

If you're really keen on the idea why not have a go.

See if you would be eligible for some sort of Government funding for an employer to take you on.
If you would be eligible, then go an approach some prospective employers with the information.

I doubt you could learn the basic requirements through a part time course.
You can follow MI's for fault finding, but they can be misleading to some degree.
And a lot of the faults are not associated with the boiler itself, they are with wired in extra components.

It takes quite a while to get to an experienced level where you are capable of solving most of the problems - some problems will stump you.

You don't want to become an experienced PCB changer - hoping that will solve the problem.

Customers won't generally pay for a new PCB and your time if that doesn't fix the problem!!!

Reply to Advice for career change in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock