Currently reading:
army resettlement plumbing course

Discuss army resettlement plumbing course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

parkers

hi, i am asking for information about a possible career.

im currently being made redundant by the army, with this the army have given me time and money to do resettlement courses. for a while now i have always dabbled with the thought of becoming a plumber/gas engineer. the course will get me to level 3 (6129).

* do companies take non experianced people on.

* really to be honest which is the best way of getting a career in this field.

all comments welcomed and appreciated

thanks.

hi, i am asking for information about a possible career.

im currently being made redundant by the army, with this the army have given me time and money to do resettlement courses. for a while now i have always dabbled with the thought of becoming a plumber/gas engineer. the course will get me to level 3 (6129).

* do companies take non experianced people on.

* really to be honest which is the best way of getting a career in this field.

all comments welcomed and appreciated

thanks.

Have a word with armyash one of our members on here, think his situation was similar to yours. He may be along soon to fill you in.

Hello mate best advice I can give you is get your quals then gain some experience even if it means going out with someone for free in your spare time. Try and take on small jobs for family and friends.

The 6129 is an entry qualification to the trade really, it's all workshop based so you will get to do a bit of everything such as hanging rads, piping up a cylinder, etc. it's all stuff you will need to know but it wont prepare you for having to go in to someone house, and lift floorboards, repair walls that crumble as you drill in to them and that's just a couple of things you will have to deal with.

Get the 6129 then try and do the full NVQ. I have the 6129 also and it means very little to employers but I have almost completed the NVQ level 2 so if I ever have to change companies in the future I have respectable quals. I also have ACS (gas) qualifications, Part P and 17th edition. I also did a weeks basic tiling course. I know very little about wiring even on heating systems, I haven't had much chance to get hands on.

Get your 6129 first then start contacting any plumbers in your area, write to companies, call sole traders, do plenty of job searches. You will need some luck on your side. I put adverts up in a lot of the local merchants I had one phone call but things didn't work out. (no ones fault, just plans changed). That one phone call could be all you need.

If you want to know more stay on this thread and i'll go in to detail what I have done to get in to the trade. Best of luck to you.

in this climate no one wants inexperiensed people, the only easy way into the iindustry is if your dad is in it. Local to me a large firm just laid off all its trainees and some of the ticketed lads, if thats happening then there isnt much hope for new entrants at present.

Having said that, if your laid off with a pension then you are in a position to get yourself trained up and able to support yourself whilst you do so. But dont expect to be taken on by a company. se is the only way and that is down to you being able to plumb and do a decent job from day one

lame plumber makes some good points.

I have been lucky, i admit that but I have worked hard and really put myself out to get here. Still got a long way to go but 12 months from now and I will be flying. Even if I do have a few disasters between now and then.

What area are you in?

It can happen mate!
I left and done the same course with same qualification.
It takes one lucky break and you're in providing you have summit about you and are worth keeping.
I got a start with a local company and now have moved to Northern Gas Networks, with all the perks and a good wage,and so I'm led to believe wont need to look for another job as long as I wish to stay in the industry.
Stay focused if you start on that path cos you will take some knocks but be prepared for some rejection,just keep in the back of your mind it just takes speaking to the right person once.
Good luck to ya buddy and enjoy civvie st!! :)

That's some good advice, just keep at it and someone will take you on. When you get that chance just work your hardest and show enthusiasm.

in this climate no one wants inexperiensed people, the only easy way into the iindustry is if your dad is in it. Local to me a large firm just laid off all its trainees and some of the ticketed lads, if thats happening then there isnt much hope for new entrants at present.

Having said that, if your laid off with a pension then you are in a position to get yourself trained up and able to support yourself whilst you do so. But dont expect to be taken on by a company. se is the only way and that is down to you being able to plumb and do a decent job from day one

what firm is that lame???

I also left the Army and retrained, but was lucky and found a decent apprenticeship. Also I used my ELC to pay for my gas ACS course and NVQ 3, as if your not a youngun, you have to pay to do any courses. Resettlement will only get you so far.

Maybe worth trying to get on with a larger firm who will give you proper practical training, as the 6129 is just theory really. Yes I know you do practical, but its in a workshop and so sterilised - its never like that in custards houses. And doing work 'on site' will get you the full NVQ 2 and 3 if you carry on.

If you start on your own however, and get a decent payoff, after you do your basic plumbing courses, manufacturer courses are v. Good. Not just boiler manufacturer but Aqualisa showers, Honeywell wiring etc.

As has been eluded to already all you need is one lucky break and you will be away, Ive not got plumbing quals but have gas and am now a subby for one of the big players if it interests you go for it. When I left the Army I used my resettlement for IT training ???? and ended up driving a bus until I found kitchen fitting and then plumbing.

it was pretty stop start.......;-) It was a job and it paid the bills, but the shifts were ridiculous and the idiots you had to deal with were unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to army resettlement plumbing course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock