Currently reading:
Cement on copper pipe

Discuss Cement on copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

Long story short - having a massive refurb - all copper pipes newly installed

I went to a lot of trouble of sinking some copper pipes for radiators in the floor by buying plastic ducting. I am aware that contact with cement may cause degredation of copper pipes in the long term - although doesn;t seem to be conclusive.

My builder had to do some patch repairs on my floor by laying screed (cement and sharp sand)

The muppet has only gone and covered quite a few pipes in the screed (I don't mean fully sink but on a few parts screed is touching the pipes and has dried onto it).

I did my best to wipe some off but some still remains.

I am particularly annoyed because I told him to avoid doing that - all it takes is to wrap some plastic around it. It woudl have involved VERY little work to cover the pipes up.

Anyway, is this a big deal or is it mainly stuff that is totally buried that is at risk?

Will I still be able to wipe the screed off after a day of drying time?

I suspect he will tell me that its no big deal and that I am being overly fussy.

The worrier in me is thinking of having pipes repalced (its only a few pieces) but that may be overboard.

The screed is touching primarily on the soldered joints (90 degree bends)

Thoughts?

Not good. Wrap the pipe in Denso tape before screeding. It will corrode as is....but you will probably have moved on by then...

Hard to say really. The biggest risk is if cement gets damp.
I can't understand what you mean by screed touching the soldered joints? Surely all the pipe work below & slightly above the screed should have had insulation on it on every inch? Who installed the pipes?

Basicallys its complicated - the pipes go into a plastic duct - it is at the point where they bend down into the duct has has the screed touched

the pipes will not be INSIDE screed - what has happened is that he has been messy with screed and it has got onto the pipes

I have wiped some of the screed off

the pipes themselves will be laid in an empty duct

as such

Pipe and Cabling Ducting - Manthorpe Building Products

The screed smearing the pipes will do little harm. But any solid part of screed on the floor should really be clear of the copper pipes for to prevent corrosion & allow expansion. Normally pipe insulation is adequate. Don't forget grout is cement & lots of jobs tend to have the copper pipes up to rad valves etc tiled around & grouted. They seem to come to little harm, although I prefer to have the last bit of pipe wrapped in insulating tape & the space around the pipe ungrouted, - especially above solid floors.
Really up to installer of pipes to cover them well IMO. I use 20mm conduit cuttings through wooden floors etc as a protection from abuse & plaster on first fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cement on copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back