Currently reading:
Charging to investigate leak etc

Discuss Charging to investigate leak etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edd789

Had a potential job, they had a leak somewhere in the bathroom which has gone down and damaged the flat below.

When they asked if I'd charge to find the leak, I said yes. Told them it'd be my hourly rate. They told me not to worry because the 3 other plumbers are doing if for free.

As far as I'm concerned, it's paid work and have always charged for it, especially as this job would of been a 40 mile round trip.

Do you guys charge for this?

If so, have you been in the same situation?

If not, why not?

If they already rung 3 other plumbers and they were free (to find the leak not repair as well I assume) why would they ring any others
Did they think they would eventually find one that would have paid them for the privilege of doing the work
Idiots

I'd love to know the amount the others charge for the actual work, I'm sure it will cover the costs of finding the leak for free.

If you're carrying out work , i.e investigating and tracing a leak, you should expect to be paid for the work.

P.s The leak will be the W.C flush pipe connector/ donut.

No point in telling them you would drive all that distance there to tell them where the leak was coming from & back home again all free of charge, for them to decide to attempt to fix it themselves or get another plumber!!!
That said though, I was told that consultation is not legally chargeable to customers. Weird

A leak in the bathroom is normally pretty easy to find unless the bath is all sealed up... I would just quote hourly rate & go there expecting to fix it there & then!

I would of fixed it there and then. If it took me an hour to find and fix it, they would of only been charged for an hours labour and any materials.

Re: Help!!! Leaky stopcock

I had something similar the other day, was asked to go and repair a a gas fire. Got there and no ventilation and fire in dangerous condition. Shut it off and advised to replace and they were surprised I was charging as I'd not fixed it

Having a lot of jobs like this just turning them down. Last month a failed a fire on cp12 due to pots on chimney. Landlord called me this wk and expected me to re test and uncap fire free. Sent a bill

I got megged with a sob story from a chinese woman stating she had been robbed by a botched repair.
So I turned up and stupid me told her the exact fault and a price.
I stupidly said no callout if you give me the repair.
So she stung me
'But ive got no money til tomorrow'
So i said call me when your in
Tomorrow came and no call..

......so i called...

"Oh i got it done for £10 less from someone else"

Stole my knowledge, time and diesel.
probably got a mate to do it illegally

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate that Phill I've stopped quoting my diagnosis to letting agents/landlords anymore as I've been done too

I know it is easy after the event Phill but I would always take the money for the call out & say you will knock it of the repair bill tomorrow, that way at least part covered.

Difficult not to come across as arrogant when you say "i arnt telling you"

But in future im gonna word it, depending on the job of course,
That although the callout may be free - it is chargeable on the 1st visit, and if a subsequent visit is required - it will be deducted from the repair bill.

What do others do ??
Thats the only way i can see to sort the wheat from the chaff and get rid of timewasters

People like that are not customers for me & they shouldn't be for you either.

Tip - don't work for free ever, you are a business not a charity.

What Chris said!
Of course if you are new it does take years to build up reputations and repeat business BUT these aren't the customers you want.
There are plenty of other who will expect to pay you.

cleared a blocked loo today for old girl who works with the Mrs. I refused payment for 10 seconds work, but I expect her gratitude will be my name broadcast around all her church,WI and other friends in due course :)

Who in there right mind would go out and investigate a leak for free!!!

Are you sure they didn't get there wires crossed and the other plumbers said no call out charge.

I would of gave them 2 words ok bye! And then probably moaned to the girlfriend for an hour or 2 about the cheek of some people. Lol.

Difficult not to come across as arrogant when you say "i arnt telling you"

But in future im gonna word it, depending on the job of course,
That although the callout may be free - it is chargeable on the 1st visit, and if a subsequent visit is required - it will be deducted from the repair bill.

What do others do ??
Thats the only way i can see to sort the wheat from the chaff and get rid of timewasters

I worked for a company that got knocked loads on the little jobs so they brought in to collect payment on each visit, so if you went out fault finding they had to pay for that visit before we would order the parts.

A few people did grumble about it and they did still get knocked on a few (as a company that size will always do) but the majority of people were fine with it and a lot paid for the return visit there and then.

Who in there right mind would go out and investigate a leak for free!!!

Are you sure they didn't get there wires crossed and the other plumbers said no call out charge.

I would of gave them 2 words ok bye! And then probably moaned to the girlfriend for an hour or 2 about the cheek of some people. Lol.

Possibly, I'd love to find out exactly what they charged etc.

Also, that's exactly what I did, sat moaning to my girlfriend about it ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Charging to investigate leak etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock