Currently reading:
commercial gas dont do it

Discuss commercial gas dont do it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phil wright

Hello everyone i am a qualified domestic and commercial gas engineer.
I was recently called out to a factory to look at a commercial gas dryer which had its high limit stat bye passed by another engineer.
So i checked the engineer out on the gas safe register and he was not on it,So i called the gas safe register and was told that you did not need to be on the gas safe register nor do you need to be qualified but just to be competent to work in factories.
Well all i can say is its a joke,All the the money i spend every five years to do assessments is a waste.

If the commercial dryer is an industrial process, they excluded from the regulations. Therefore not Gas Safe's remit.

I think this is what Gas Safe may of been pointing you to?

Regulation 2
“gas fittings” means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used (other than the purpose of an industrial process carried out on industrial premises), but it does not mean -
(a) any part of a service pipe;
(b) any part of a distribution main or other pipe upstream of the
service pipe;
(c) a gas storage vessel; or
(d) a gas cylinder or cartridge designed to be disposed of when empty;

GUIDANCE FOR Regulation 2

This definition effectively excludes from the Regulations any gas fitting
which is part of an industrial process carried out on industrial premises, eg gas fired industrial process plant and furnaces. The exclusion extends to industrial premises not covered by the exceptions (eg concerning factories, mines and quarries) in regulation 2(4); this means, for instance, that bitumen boilers and welding torches are not covered by the Regulations even where they are used at construction sites and similar places which may otherwise fall within scope (see also paragraphs 29–30). Although control devices primarily intended for use by the consumer, eg knobs and switches for controlling the heat or temperature functions of the appliance, are covered by the definition, work on such devices is generally excluded from the Regulations (regulation 2(6)(c) refers). The definition of ‘gas fittings’ excludes any service pipe (eg as in a network supplying natural gas), but covers service pipework, such as used in the supply of gas from an LPG storage vessel.

Edited as I missed off reg and part of guidance.

Last edited:
It is only in the factory that this applies, under Factories Act. Everywhere else, say the offices for the factory you do need to be GSR.

To be Classed as competent you would have to be able to prove you had sufficient knowledge experience and training to carry out the work safely.

Holding the relevant ACS qualifications would go some way to proving that.

Working on gas in a factory doesn't automatically give you a get out of Jail free card.

To think croppie was encouraging me to get into the commercial line and not just be content with domestic work? I think I will keep my money

When i spoke to gas safe they said a peson who is competent can work on gas pipe and fittings and other appliances with out acs or gas safe.

As for factory it's a breach of fire saftey LP1201 or 1601? Nil insurance as not covered to override safety devices.

Also HSE would be very interested as a fail safe, safety guard or mechanism to prevent injury or loss of life has been removed - think that's a fundamental of HSAWA .

The factory management would be faced with serious questions from the HSE if they allowed non competent people to tamper with any gas fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to commercial gas dont do it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back