Currently reading:
Fixing dripping tap help

Discuss Fixing dripping tap help in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

adb

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a dripping tap in my kitchen. I can get the tap off but does anyone know what tool I need to get the main cartridge(?) part out? I only have a standard spanner and I can't get enough leverage on it because of the protruding grey cover(pic 2). Is this fairly simple to fix or should I just get a plumber? Thanks

View: https://*********/a/QJKhe9u

Need a socket out of a socket set, and prob a long range one to allow for the splines. Use your spanner to meas the size. Halfords sell odd ones I think, or good plumbers merchant. Have a look online first.

You have done the hard bits so might as well finish, but get in a pro if you are not enjoying it.

Cheers,

Roy

You can see from the 2nd picture that the insert only has 2 flat edges, either need a tool from the tap manufacturer, or clamp something like mole grips on there really tight using a pair of pump pliers on the grips to turn if needed.

Apologies missed that in the picture.

Dumb thoughts, thinking out loud:

1st thought basin wrench or crowfoot spanners, but you would have to grind them down, prob too much . . .

Don't suppose the flats would fit in a small vice with small square ended jaws ( same prob as above).

Can you measure between the tap insert (round part) and the main body.

Assume tap manufacturer has special tools?
Else have to get one fabricated. . .

Also consider the tap value, and time spent.

If you are still trying spanners, perhaps a big adjustable, or a slim one, and also grind down the jaws. If there is not much space though it's not going to work.

Solder/braze pipe into the old valve body (prob destroy the tap. . .)

Apologies not being able to help more.

Hopefully as a rank amateur plumber I'm missing an obvious answer. If no good response ask on a clankys forum?

Roy

Reply to Fixing dripping tap help in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Back