Currently reading:
I want to be a plumber....Please advise!

Discuss I want to be a plumber....Please advise! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henry83

Hi, I'm 29 and live in Manchester. I have reached a point where I am not enjoying my current career in the hospitality industry and sincerely believe that a career in plumbing would give me a rewarding and challenging new career. I realise I am slightly older than your average apprentice/student but would work my arse off to achieve this goal, so would greatly appreciate any serious advice on courses and apprenticeships, or anything that you think may be of use to me. Thanks in advance.

Hi been a hands on builder for 20 odd years, got loads of gas work and can't get a reliable plumber/gas fitter to work with us so I'm going for a quick hit gas course, doing the most of our plumbing now so it will be usefull, anyone got any advice on my plans for this, thanks

Hi Steve1968.

Don't take this question the wrong way - I mean it genuinely, not trying to have a go at you!

Is the problem that you can't find a reliable subby, or is the problem that reliable subbies are too expensive? The reason I ask is that from a lot of postings I see plenty of skilled blokes struggling to find work. Of course - it might just be a geographical thing - some areas busier than others.

or it could be a lot dont trust builders , again not having ago but i know a fair few plumbers got done over by builders when things went belly up a few year ago

Have you done any research, like contacting gas safe or a training centre, into what is required Steve or did you just think I'll asked on hear to save the time ?
Go on then I will bite.
What makes you thing you could become a GSR Engineer then ?
I take it you do not have an NQV in plumbing or heating, so you will be a category 3 entrant therefore you will need complete around 20 - 30 training days at a centre doing the theory & you will need to work along side a GSR engineer carrying out a range of gas work, including installation, testing & commissioning on boilers cookers & fires as a minimum the GSR engineer has to sign off your log which must be a minimum of 100 day's (might be more, I will have to check).
Only after completing the on & off site training can you sit the CCN1 test which is the core safety, once you have that you can sit the appliances that you require to work on (boilers, cookers, fires etc etc)
Once you have all those you can then apply to Gas Safe to go onto the register (after paying your fee's) oh & don't forget you will need to do your Part L so you can register each boiler with the council.
Or did you think it was as easy as turn up & pay over some money ?

Stick with the building mate & find a good plumber / heating guy ! (helps if you offer a bit more lolly, you tend to get the better ones interested).

Can't get a reliable subby mate, they turn in but if something comes along they just bail out on us, had one guy fit a floor standing boiler last week and charged us £520 for his mornings work, we don't mind paying a decent rate but as we get desperate some times we leave ourselves open to get robbed, we are in the north Wales area and builders are complaining about not having work, we have been lucky and stayed busy so far,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I want to be a plumber....Please advise! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock