Currently reading:
Ideas on removing 4" cast iron stack

Discuss Ideas on removing 4" cast iron stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I have to remove & replace a complete cast iron soil pipe from the rear of a house - in a small back yard.
It is well jointed by the looks of it & needs taken out of the clay sewer bend without damaging that also.
Any ideas how I should safely go about this - perhaps I could cut it into sections, but how & what blade? Been years since I had to remove one & this looks risky.

I usually just break each joint with a lump hammer then take it down from the top. Try and stick rubble sack down the bottom to stop prices falling down the drain

I've done a few of these myself. Not my favourite job to do.

I find it best to break it up into manageable pieces starting from the top down using a lump hammer.

I have used a disc cutter before with metal cutting blade but have found that this leaves metal dust all over the wall you are cutting near & when it gets wet from rain or moisture it can leave rust steaks everywhere. Not good if its a rendered & painted light colour wall.

Agree to also plug bottom of drain to prevent too many pieces blocking it up.

Thanks for reply, Jimbob!

Tbh, I had forgot that I could break the joints with a hammer! Had been thinking if I hit the pipe with a 2lb hammer the bits would go into sewer & there is no obvious manhole. I can't risk breaking the clay bend in ground, so will have to drill carefully the cement joint first.
The vent part, with the offsets is the hardest part as so heavy for up a ladder.

Chain cutters are good, you might struggle using one up a ladder while trying to hold the bit you chop off.

Lump hammer from the top down in manageable sections.

Tomlane, - thanks, & I agree it is not my favourite job either! :smile: Thats a very going point about the metal dust causing rust stains - although this house has old brick walls which are not in perfect condition anyhow, but guess the windows, door & concrete yard would show staining. I can't block the sewer sadly.

TBService, also thanks for reply, - I will look at chain cutters, although never used one before tbh. I usually try to do everything without hiring. The builder who also owns the property has offered to help me.

JONES_SOIL_PIPE__4f42c5b9dab97.jpgTake the links out so that it fits the size of pipe you have. It works just like copper tube cutters, easiest & safest way to take down a stack in sections. IMHO

View attachment 13432Take the links out so that it fits the size of pipe you have. It works just like copper tube cutters, easiest & safest way to take down a stack in sections. IMHO

Never seen one of those in action. That seems so handy! Must take a while on a single cut?
Rare tbh that I would come across cast stacks to remove, but any easier solution for the future will be good.

cut a slot low down with the angle grinder and slide a spare blade in to stop the crud going down the drain

Very good idea Steve! Never done that before, i think. I may have to do that as no doubt I will dislodge something that could block the sewer! All of the joints look very well done unfortunately & it must be at least 70 years old (house still had lead pipes till recently).

Do you have to remove it, I like to keep it going with a coat of hammerite if possible. Looks so much better thab plastic in an older property.

Why would you want to replace a cast iron soil with modern crap ?
I still fit cast !

Good point! I did tell the owner that, apart from the rotted clips, the cast pipe is like brand new & if the lead pipe through the wall was replaced all it needed was painted, but he wants to avoid painting it so thinks the plastic will save work for a year or two, till it needs painted. Sad as it will be a like for like replacement.

Never seen one of those in action. That seems so handy! Must take a while on a single cut?
Rare tbh that I would come across cast stacks to remove, but any easier solution for the future will be good.
Hire as & when, if wheels are sharp & you can get at least half way around the pipe using the handle it will only take a couple of mins per cut.
As I say, quicker & safer than grinder & no bits down the pipe. :39:

Do you have to remove it, I like to keep it going with a coat of hammerite if possible. Looks so much better thab plastic in an older property.

Funny you saying that - I was thinking the same today. Only problem I see with the cast is people paint it with gloss paint & eventually it cracks & peels & looks bad! Light coats of proper paint would be the job. Maybe I should try again to suggest he keeps the cast iron. I do worry the brackets are gone though.

The brackets are easy to sort
Why anyone would replace cast with plastic is beyond me !
The new upvc windows that were supposed to be the answer are now being replaced as gone brittle and falling to pieces !
Like the pitch fibre pipes that replaced clay are now all oval what is going to happen to all the plastic rubbish we have been fitting for the last 20 years ?

Last edited by a moderator:
With care. A small bit falling can kill/damage
wear safety hat

That's what I have been thinking. I don't bother with safety hats, but it would be wise, especially for anyone on the ground. Luckily I think I can contain it inside the property if the owner still wants it replaced.

That's what I have been thinking. I don't bother with safety hats, but it would be wise, especially for anyone on the ground. Luckily I think I can contain it inside the property if the owner still wants it replaced.

dont work off a ladder, scaffold tower or nothing, cast is heavy and if it goes so do you!

The new upvc windows that were supposed to be the answer are now being replaced as gone brittle and falling to pieces !
Like the pitch fibre pipes that replaced clay are now all oval what is going to happen to all the plastic rubbish we have been fitting for the last 20 years ?

This cast iron stack is relatively new compared to some & yet it is at least 70 years old.
As you say, the plastic won't be there in 70 + years! We really shouldn't be throwing out stuff that was built to last forever. :(
To help plastic soil & wastes pipes last as long as possible it is essential to have them painted to avoid uv damage.

Basildog, if the stack has to remain, what sort of brackets could I use without having to partially take the stack down to fit brackets? Guess I could get some purpose made.

I sometimes make my own tarred rope and you can still buy lead wool !
I am still on the look out for an old set of pugging chisels ?

Can you get a strap on boss that works on a cast pipe. And what would you need to drill it out with. I need to put a shower in and the waste will need to go into a cast pipe.
It's either get the waste into it or replace the cast pipe. I'd rather not replace the cast if I can avoid it

You can stil buy a 2 piece bracet but they are ugly so yes get a blacksmith to make them if it is visible ?
I always have my cast iron gutter brackets made as they look so much better

Can you get a strap on boss that works on a cast pipe. And what would you need to drill it out with. I need to put a shower in and the waste will need to go into a cast pipe.
It's either get the waste into it or replace the cast pipe. I'd rather not replace the cast if I can avoid it

Apparently you can get a strap boss for cast iron (& good hole cutters for metal will do the job I think). I had a search on this forum for past posts " drilling cast iron".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideas on removing 4" cast iron stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back