Currently reading:
Lower flow temperature in vented HWC w/immersion heater weekly cycle?

Discuss Lower flow temperature in vented HWC w/immersion heater weekly cycle? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

C

combedcloud22

Newly bought home has somewhat older plumbing, but recently fitted condensing gas boiler & HW cylinder. System is open vented.
When we moved in we had a few control problems, engineer who fixed it replaced the programmer, said there were a few broken wires (which he somehow managed not to use) and the timer fitted to the immersion heater had gone bust so he just bypassed it (now has regular on/off switch, kept on off).

The system works smoothly now, but I can only set one temperature for both HW and CH. I note boiler has 2 temperature dials and I've read somewhere in this forum that it's possible to change the 3-port valve wiring to avoid the "middle" position and allow two different flow temperatures, but I would not venture doing that myself.

With the goal of reducing my bills, I am considering replacing the immersion heater timer myself, setting it to run weekly / biweekly as a legionella cycle, and set the flow temperature at 55~60 degrees. The 2 bathroom radiators are unfortunately plumbed in the HW circuit so I can't set them much lower.

Would that be:
1. Possible, and
2. Safe, and
3. More economical than just running the flow at 65~70 degrees with no immersion heater?

Or should I just ask an engineer to change whatever wiring is needed to allow 2 flow temperatures (if it's possible and they're qualified to do it)?

Reply to Lower flow temperature in vented HWC w/immersion heater weekly cycle? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Back