Currently reading:
manhole cover removal ??

Discuss manhole cover removal ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas how I can get this cover up ? It looks like it may possibly be locked with the 4 holes around the edge but I'm not sure. Feels like it's really wedged in there. Was told that 2 previous plumbers couldn't get it up but me being me I am never beaten. Need it up as there is apparently a pump in there that has stopped working.

Attachments

• 20160316_092203.jpg
    20160316_092203.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160316_092156.jpg
    20160316_092156.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 73
Usually the locks are 1/4 turn.
The hard part for you is to know whether or not they are open or closed.

The lid is probably steel framed and very heavy.
So could be quire a procedure for you to lift the lid.
Often they are jammed shut - so good luck

The screw holes look to be filled with self levelling compound.

I've lifted commercial covers, they're held in with large Allen headed bolts (8mm)
Then you can fit 2 keys / bolts / screw eyes into the thread into the outer where the bolt was, possibly 12mm

As said can be 1/4 turn with short levers underneath and sometimes there is a very small arrow showing the direction of the unseen levers. Some can be up to 75mm thick whilst others have a thin decorative first layer with another plate underneath and just to confuse things more on some you have to remove the outer edge strips (Cross head screws in the photo) first. There should be a control panel somewhere (On -Off, pump(s) run etc) showing the manufacture who you could contact for advise.

I`d have a guess this is in a large house kitchen so be prepared for the mother of all smells when the pit is opened, if you are lucky the float valves are covered in crud and not rising to start the auto function so a piece of wire on a broom handle will help instead of you having to reach down in the pit. If it is only the float(s) then a load of cleaner and a jet wash will sort things out.

Last edited:
True however I find the kitchen waste oil & grease to be a worse smell.

The worst smell I've ever experienced was when I opened up a Saniflow that took the kitchen sink waste away from an in sink waste disposal. It had sat for a few days and by crikey it smelled like death. I've never had the misfortune to find a rotting body but I imagine the smell would be something like that Saniflow.

The worst smell I've ever experienced was when I opened up a Saniflow that took the kitchen sink waste away from an in sink waste disposal. It had sat for a few days and by crikey it smelled like death. I've never had the misfortune to find a rotting body but I imagine the smell would be something like that Saniflow.

Bet that put you off opening a Saniflo`s for life eh? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to manhole cover removal ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock