Currently reading:
Natural Gas - calculating pressure drop

Discuss Natural Gas - calculating pressure drop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cardigan

The pipe from my gas meter to my Worcester combi boiler is 22mm. It is 16m long and has 6 right angle bends after the meter.

Does anyone know the formula for calculating pressure fall from coming into themeter at 21mb to arriving at the boiler?

I thought I was adequately sized but like they say 'size isn't everything.' I have a Worcester35CDi currently running off the end of my 22mm NG pipe. I was playing with the idea of replacing it with a Worcester38CDi but the British Gas salesman says it will not run off my 22mm pipe. Having formed the view that this should be an easy calculation and that someone somewhere must have produced a formula and that every CH engineer must be in possession of and using this formula everyday I am now wondering whether the formula in common use is the one where we suck our finger and hold it aloft to the wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the figures you have given with the boiler on maximum rate at 4.12m3/h. The pipe run of this length will only deliver approximatley 3m3/h. So it looks undersize in its current state.

The manufacturer specifies a degree of pressure not volume. Worcester state that the bolier needs NG delivered at a minimum of 16.5mb. The calculation must involve pressure arriving at the meter (MP) minus loss of pressure caused by friction in the pipe (L) The question is - how do you calculate the loss of preesure from the meter to the boiler?

Reg Man has just worked it out for you, in terms of gas rate. This shows that BG are right and the pipework would be undersized and would need to be upgraded for the 38CDi to be fitted.

Thanks and thanks for the link to the copper pipework doc there should be enogh infor inthere for me to saiisfy my desire for a formula

You could post here, see if there is anyone local to quote against British Gas
[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

The manufacturer specifies a degree of pressure not volume. Worcester state that the bolier needs NG delivered at a minimum of 16.5mb. The calculation must involve pressure arriving at the meter (MP) minus loss of pressure caused by friction in the pipe (L) The question is - how do you calculate the loss of preesure from the meter to the boiler?

21mbar working pressure at the meter then should have 20mbar on the inlet to the boiler. BS6891

Hi

Can anyone tell me the flow rate in cubic meters per hour of natural gas from the meter in an oridinary residential domestic dwelling house

TIA

Watching.

That's nice to know
icon5.png

Because I've found a formula to calculate drop in gas pressure and the formula requires the flow rate
Trick will be to find out how much gas each appliances will be using running flat out (kW input), then convert to amount of gas required to meet this. (clue = look at your gas bill for how much you get out of one one cubic Metre)

Last edited:
To better ensure that two people taking a shower at the same time (in separate showers!) both get emough hot water

This will never happen with any standard combi, 38kw or otherwise.

And you shouldn't be concerning yourself with gas rates, pressures and formulas relating to such things

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Natural Gas - calculating pressure drop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock