Currently reading:
Some advice

Discuss Some advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pipedream

A belated merry Christmas. I wondered if any of you gas safe guys could provide some advice. I operate in area that is largely off the gas grid, so I do not do gas work, only oil. However there have been a couple of occasions when I have needed to access the pump to bleed it after installing rads and it has been inside the gas boiler casing.I have seen posts suggesting that it is illegal to remove the case if you are not gas safe registered. I have done a bit of research and understand about any work on the gas side, but it is harder to find a definitive answer about the wet side of the system. I was finishing a bathroom last week and had just installed a new rad. I had removed the boiler casing to bleed the pump when by coincidence a BG engineer turned up to service the boiler. I explained what I was doing and he had no problem. He had heard the same stuff about removing casings. Indeed we had both seen one of those rouge trader programs when a BG inspector said the subject of the secret filming had broken the law as soon as he lifted the cover off the boiler. Not being one to want to break the law, I hope common sense prevails.

Yes its ok but where do you draw the line changing diverter valves ,thermistors ,pumps PCB is a no no Imho as combustion may need to be checked and you forgot about checking the AAV when doing the pump

Thanks all, I would never dream of going anywhere near anything to with gas. I think I am happy with where to draw the line. I have turned down many, many calls to problems with Gas and simply give the caller the name of a local Gas Safe Registered company.

What you need to have is competence and be able to prove it! An argument that will always continue to be controversial! If you end up in court because of something you've done then being GSR will not help you! 'd imagine removing the combustion chamber door of anything oil will have the same implications as gas? And I'd imagine the training undertaken will involve the same safety checks ? I do not know because I have not had any dealings with oil, the fact that they are both fossil fuels that burn and have the potential to produce poisonous fumes means you treat them with the same respect! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Some advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back