Currently reading:
Timed Shower pump

Discuss Timed Shower pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hat751

Just found this site & hope you guys can help. I am a competent DIYer.

I've got a problem at home. We are a family of 6 and the last person in the shower gets a cold shower because those in front have used all the hot water. It's not because my hot water cylinder is too small, its because 2 of my teenagers leave the shower running when its not needed. I have explained to them how its inconsiderate, wastes water, costs money etc etc. Things have improved, but not enough.

I want to add some type of timer switch similar to a Time Lag switch. I want it operated directly from the shower pump so when the shower pump comes on the timer starts (3 mins?). I know by turning the shower off and on again will reset it, thats OK as it will remind them when enough water is used.

Does something like this exist? Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible the perfic answer wired into the electrical feed to the pump (might be IP66 but you will still need RCD protection) [DLMURL="http://www.qvsdirect.com/16A-Time-Lag-Switch-Weatherproof-IP66-pr-24829.html"]16A Time Lag Switch Weatherproof - IP66 - QVS Electrical Supplies | Electrical Wholesaler[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Go to your pump and find the hot isolation valve.
2. Tell them you have fitted a 3 minute timer.
3. After they have showered for 3 minutes turn the hot water supply off.
4. Repeat until they take shorter showers (should only take 1 or 2 attempts)

Hope that helps.

You have to start as you mean to go on with kids, because what is cute at 5 years-old is a ruddy nightmare at 15!

You need a time switched valve on the hot feed - they'll soon learn to finish before the water turns cold!

You have to start as you mean to go on with kids, because what is cute at 5 years-old is a ruddy nightmare at 15!

You need a time switched valve on the hot feed - they'll soon learn to finish before the water turns cold!

Did you get an answer you wanted? I see that nobodyreally provided any suggestions to a device that would turn off the pump aftera set time of actual use. I have a similar problem made worse as I have asceptic tank that also does have a water capacity limit. I have a design thatlogs the time that the pump is pumping, it detects when it is drawing currentand times only when it is operating. It is not fooled by turning the shower tapoff then back on again. After a pre-settable time, say 3 minutes, it will stopthe pump from operating until another pre-settable time (say 4 mins) hasexpired.

Get a push button shower mixer like in the swimming pools, gyms etc. if your not in shower to push it, it goes off. Problem solved even if it a tad expensive

Just fit a restrictor into the shower head. ,!

Yes but then everyone gets a weak shower not just the kids that stay in there for ages, it also puts excessive load on the pump. The whole point of a pump is that you get a decent powerful shower.

Get a push button shower mixer like in the swimming pools, gyms etc. if your not in shower to push it, it goes off. Problem solved even if it a tad expensive

I didn't realise you can get one that switches hot and cold feed. How many of them work properly after a few years, they wear out and you only get a few seconds for each push. The kids would just hold the button in or keep pressing it anyway

Much better to do it electronically, cheaper and easy to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Timed Shower pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock