Currently reading:
Water leak outside property

Discuss Water leak outside property in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our property, and the property itself. The water company fitted a new (smart) meter about 4 weeks ago. Now they have contacted us saying we have a leak as we are using water 24/7. They say we should fix it giving a deadline or they will fix it. Not sure how that works as they would need access to the grounds. Anyway I digress. The leak is most definitely on the external pipework because even with the stopcock closed the meter still goes around, well the old one did not bothered to look at the new one yet. So what all this waffle is about is there a way to find out where the leak is occurring. I know at some point there is a 'T' joint off to an outbuilding. I am aussuming that the leak is at a fitting and not on the pipe itself. So we have exiting the meter or the 'T' joint. I have not got a clue as to how to ascertain where the 'T' joint is. Also unsure as to how reputable somebody might be who says they can fix it. The distance from the meter to the stopcock is some 40m which I do not fancy digging up.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks

Buggar I am always doing that.

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 21
Just another matter. The pipe coming from the garage is shall we say marked/scored so I doubt a normal 20mm MDPE would seal well enough. What I am therefore thinking of is a 20mm brass
compression fitting, do they exist?

Just another matter. The pipe coming from the garage is shall we say marked/scored so I doubt a normal 20mm MDPE would seal well enough. What I am therefore thinking of is a 20mm brass
compression fitting, do they exist?

They do peglar make them but I would cut back to a non damaged part

I’ve seen scores / scratches weaken the pipe causing a burst etc

Ha easier said than done cutting back to undamaged pipe. Shortly after picture it disappears under a flower bed with trees in there then under a paved area before arriving at the garage. The scores scrtaches are not bad just that a slight score I have found can make an O ring seal not work. I have just this minute found that Conex do a 20mm brass coupler so might try that.

Reply to Water leak outside property in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Back