Discuss Blocked waste pipe - Inspection cover problem. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a problem with a downstairs bathroom toilet. When flushed, the water in the bowl rises, as does the water coming up from the shower drain. The water then drops quite quickly, accompanied by a rumbling, gurgling noise....

Suspecting a blockage in the soil pipe leading from the bathroom to the main house sewer, I removed the concrete cover of the inspection chamber in the back garden. To my surprise I was greeted with the sight of about 1ft of top soil! Digging this out revealed another inspection cover - but this one cannot be lifted. The concrete frame of top cover is larger than the lid of the lower cover, which is underneath! Anybody know what the hell is going on? The inspection chamber looks like it was installed when the house was built in 1974, but the downstairs bathroom was added in the 1990s...

Any help with the weird double inspection chamber, and the root cause of the problem would be appreciated!

From the description it would seem like the ground level has been raised and a second cover fitted over the original Inspection chamber location, if so the one solution is to break / cut the lower cover out and if it isn't already, form solid sides to the gap between.

Or remove the upper cover and frame, to gain access to the lower cover

Reply to Blocked waste pipe - Inspection cover problem. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi could anyone give advice please ? I went to look at a new build for sale they are apartments/ one house on top of another all properties will...
Replies
Views
Hi All I own 2 flats and the upstairs/first floor tenant has contacted me to say that the toilet and basin are slow at draining and she thinks...
Replies
Views
I’ve had a rodent problem in the loft (I know they are in the drain because I saw rats in inspection chamber). The soil stack appears intact in...
Replies
Views
Hi, we just moved to a new build. There is a dreadful 'sewer' smell in the house. No outside soil stack. AAV is sited behind bath panel in family...
Replies
Views
Josh89
J
Hi. I have been on the phone to the Gas Safe Register, who have pointed me a bit in the right direction looking for certain information. I am in a...
Replies
Views
Back