Currently reading:
Condensate pipe dripping on my drive

Discuss Condensate pipe dripping on my drive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vido.ardes

I recently bought a new house, and have notice that the neighbours have a pipe that sticks out of their wall about 2 inches and hangs over my brick driveway. What initially believed to be some sort of overflow pipe now looks to be a condensate pipe from a boiler, as it only drip for a small period of time once or twice a day, but it produces a lot of liquid when it does. If this is a condensate pipe, is it dangerous? This pipe is about 10 feet above my drive and just juts out the wall, shouldn't this have been run to a drain or soil pipe? They don't seem bothered about doing anything about it, but I am worried it will damage the brickwork or harm my pets if they try and drink it. Is it something I can contact Gas Safe about as an unsafe installation?

It shouldn't be like that. Condensate discharge is mildly acidic and will eat away at your driveway. It should be terminated into a foul drain or a soakaway filled with limestone chippings at least 500mm away from the house.

Don't know who to contact really, but Gas Safe would be a call. Part of a boilers benchmark checklist is the correct termination of the condensate pipe.

Could be a problem with the cistern overfilling, are you guys metered? Could be worth pointing out to your neighbour this will cost them money (as well as pouring onto your property) :)

It shouldn't be like that. Condensate discharge is mildly acidic and will eat away at your driveway. It should be terminated into a foul drain or a soakaway filled with limestone chippings at least 500mm away from the house.

Don't know who to contact really, but Gas Safe would be a call. Part of a boilers benchmark checklist is the correct termination of the condensate pipe.
Yes Ricky agree with this. Misconception is you fill the soak-away pod with lime stone. You sink the pod in the hole and fill the outside of the pod with limestone not the inside. Therefore the pod fills with the condensate water and soaks through the pod into the limestone chippings which neutralise the acidic water.

Yes Ricky agree with this. Misconception is you fill the soak-away pod with lime stone. You sink the pod in the hole and fill the outside of the pod with limestone not the inside. Therefore the pod fills with the condensate water and soaks through the pod into the limestone chippings which neutralise the acidic water.

Funny you have just quoted differently from the instructions in front of me, that state you put the soakaway into the hole and surround it with limestone AND fill the unit with limestone as well, makes sense to me as the more limestone the better and the water will still dissapate as theres plentl of volume in the limestone.

Funny you have just quoted differently from the instructions in front of me, that state you put the soakaway into the hole and surround it with limestone AND fill the unit with limestone as well, makes sense to me as the more limestone the better and the water will still dissapate as theres plentl of volume in the limestone.
Thanks for that, the point I was getting at was about limestone being used around the outside of the pod, as I have seen loads that just have chippings inside and nothing on the outside.

If the pipe terminates over your property and they aren't doing anything about it then shot a cork into it. I bet they'll get it fixed then. Overflows/condensate/flues should not terminate into somebody elses property.

This is what I do, fill the pod, then surround it with limestone chippings before backfilling.

get a dead bird, shove it up the pipe to block it so it looks like nature was at play. then when there ceiling fall in you cant be blamed but they will get it sorted for sure.

get a dead bird, shove it up the pipe to block it so it looks like nature was at play. then when there ceiling fall in you cant be blamed but they will get it sorted for sure.

lol, [video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Bwj3dLl4mRY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBwj 3dLl4mRY[/video]

OP said its 10 ft high, first floor toilet I reckon. Could be condensate from boiler or air con unit, overflow from either cistern in loft or original lead overflow on a bath.
Have a word with the neighbour, chances are they don't even know its happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensate pipe dripping on my drive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock