Currently reading:
Is there a flexible pipe suitable for a secondary hot water circulatory system?

Discuss Is there a flexible pipe suitable for a secondary hot water circulatory system? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

I'd be grateful for some advice please.
I'm doing a stable conversion which requires a secondary circulatory system. The plumber (yes, he is qualified) initially didn't realise this and when questioned, didn't actually appear to know what a secondary system was! He did come back to install one though, but I've now discovered (just in time before the ceilings are boarded over), that the pipework he's fitted, using JG flexible pipe and fittings, is unsuitable for a secondary circulatory system. Replacing his runs in solid copper is going to be a nightmare because part of the system passes through I beams (so will involve lots of short lengths joined together). Does anyone know of a flexible pipe which would be suitable for a secondary hot water system so I can just pull it through to replace the JG stuff?
Thankyou in anticipation.

Thanks Shaun. I was hoping it would be.

Just make sure it’s double / thick insulated min 25mm

Mlcp is all the best bits of copper in a flexible form

Solution
My theory is that Polypipe claim their pipe isn't suitable, presumably from reading the literature because they don't want the pipework/fittings to remain at high temperatures continuously. They do say that even timer/thermostat controlled systems aren't suitable but I personally think they've just said that as a precaution. Or that there is something they can't achieve to get the suitable British standard

The same pipe is used to carry 80*c water for heating systems for long periods of time so I can't see how leaving a secondary return on for let's say 4 hours at 60*c in the evening would cause any damage.

Having said that. I'm extremely risk averse so wouldn't try it at a customers expense but would definitely setup a jig to try it if I can get my hands on some old/spare parts

My theory is that Polypipe claim their pipe isn't suitable, presumably from reading the literature because they don't want the pipework/fittings to remain at high temperatures continuously. They do say that even timer/thermostat controlled systems aren't suitable but I personally think they've just said that as a precaution. Or that there is something they can't achieve to get the suitable British standard

The same pipe is used to carry 80*c water for heating systems for long periods of time so I can't see how leaving a secondary return on for let's say 4 hours at 60*c in the evening would cause any damage.

Having said that. I'm extremely risk averse so wouldn't try it at a customers expense but would definitely setup a jig to try it if I can get my hands on some old/spare parts
Thanks for the comments fowlerboi. Like you I can't see any justification for not using it but don't want to experiment in case it does go pear shaped. At least I can use the existing holes with MCLP so it's not all bad.

You're visiting the Plumbing Advice website, PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for visiting PlumbersForums.net, part of the untoldmedia network of companies.

Thanks for visiting Plumbing Advice forum, PlumbersForums.net. Find Plumbing Jobs, Find a Plumber, Find a Gas Engineer. Then there's bathroom advice, shower how-to forum, wetroom questions and answers board | kitchen advice | central heating advice - and more

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

New Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock