Currently reading:
New boiler for old

Discuss New boiler for old in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plotnine

I am an OAP and live in a 1930's semi 2 bed bungalow(5 rooms in all), with a 20 year old floor mounted Potterton boiler. British Gas came to service and basically condemed it.

I have a visit from one of their advisors on Saturday and I am concerned they may blind me with science and recommend spending more money than i need to get a new combi boiler installed.

Any ideas what the total package, removal, flushing and installing should cost me, even a ball park price would be helpful. Any pertinent questions i should ask ??

Plotnine

british gas are very very very expensive,
if you need a new boiler,they will allways try to add on as many extras as they can get away with. i applied to the gas board about three years ago, and got the job,that i never took as they like you to be as salesman and flog as much as you can ,even awarding redeemable points to their engineers, for leisure breaks etc
you do have to meet new standards,you may need to reposition the boiler for different flueing options ,and condense pipe routing, this can add a cost. i would consider putting in a combi in either the empty airing cupboard or in your loft use wireless programmable room stat, thermo stats on bedroom radiators only (as its not a new system this meets regulations) Flush system with de-sludger and inhibitors and thats it.depending on area £3,000-£3,500 including quality mateials and boiler(worcester greenstar 28i junior) with the system properly notified to CORGI .......... GOOD LUCK

british gas will be £3000 dearer than anyone else to start with.
you haven't got to have a combi you can have a heat only boiler if you wish and keep you hot water cylinder etc.

Depending on where you live it might be cheaper to have the whole system replaced, rads and all, than have the old one uprated! BTW British Gas have been condemning open flue boilers where the ventilation doesn't meet the new regs and actually all you need to do is to have the ventilation brought up to spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler for old in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock